Hosting a foreign student in your home is an enriching experience. For six weeks or part of a year, you get the opportunity to see the world through someone else’s eyes.
It does, however, also require responsibility. Host families undergo a strict selection, training and orientation process. We make sure that you are fully aware of your role and that you are prepared and willing to stay the course.
What do we look for in a host family?
- On a physical level, you must have the financial means and space to take in a teenager from six weeks to part of a year. You are responsible for full board and lodging.
- You must be able to provide a safe and welcoming environment where trust and friendship can be developed.
- Be willing to become a parent to a stranger to ensure the student’s well-being.
- Introduce the student to family, friends, neighbours, and local groups.
- Teach the student about the local culture.
- Guide the student about matters related to school, family, community functions, and friendship.